Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Our New Home


Our House

The boys at Midway Beach

Midway Beach


We arrived in Auckland at 5:00 in the morning on the 12th of August after 23 hours of traveling.  After a gut-wrenching drive (through rush-hour traffic, on the left hand side of the road, with a tired Brad driving...) we arrived at our hotel.  Luckily they let us check in to our room early.  We spent the day relaxing and swimming in the hotel pool.  It was raining out, so we didn't get out to see the city much.

That evening, Brad and I did everything possible to keep the kids up until 7:30, at which time we finally gave up and let them go to sleep.  Around 3:00 in the a.m.  I heard a small voice call to me from the other bed "mom, I'm hungry and can't sleep anymore",  "me, too"  chimed in another voice.  Then to my left I heard a much lower voice agree with the first two.  So, the three of them got up, ate left-over pizza and watched TV, and I rolled over, put a pillow over my head and slept quite soundly until morning.

Wednesday, Brad had a meeting with a lady in Auckland to make sure all of his papers were in order and he could go ahead a practice medicine (legally) here.  After his meeting we boarded another airplane (quite small...only twenty seats total!) and flew to Gisborne.  The office manager from the clinic met us at the airport and took us to our house, where we found homemade soup in the fridge and fresh fruit and flowers on the table, not too shabby!
Brad didn't start work until the following Monday so we spent the next few days getting settled in and exploring the area.

The following video clips are a tour of our house.  WARNING:  You may want to turn your volume down to avoid hearing an extremely whiny child in the background:


We are a couple of blocks from the beach.  The closest beach to us is Midway beach, and Brad is itching to get out and try his hand at surfing again (maybe if you're lucky, we'll post a picture of him in his new wetsuit...quite a treat!).  The boys enjoy running around on the beach collecting shells and trying to see how close to the waves they can get without getting wet, as well as finding all sorts of other treasures, which usually cause Brad and me to say "drop that right now, that's trash!".  

2 comments:

Amy_RC said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! Of course, we’re looking forward to pics of Brad in his wetsuit. I can add it to my sexy Brad photos (the ski photo still lives, in infamy, on the fridge). Maybe I’ll make a collage entitled: A Brad for All Seasons.
Take care and enjoy this year! I can’t wait for the next installment!

jlulloff said...

Great house and I can't tell you how excited I am to see Brad in a wetsuit...especially since I didn't get the "special" Christmas card. :) Looks like a beautiful and fun place to live! Take care and see you in a year!